Thursday, March 20, 2008

Florence Day 4

See pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/meganthemegan


This traveler was too tired to blog yesterday, so here's the belated Wednesday whazzup with meganthemegan:

I began the day at the Bargello Museum -- the best sculpture collection in Florence. The famous David by Donatello was undergoing painstaking restoration, fortunately in public view. Visitors could see each step of the process thanks to a camera attached to the magnifying glasses used by the "surgeon" (who was wearing a white lab coat, surgical gloves and a mask!) Photos are not allowed in this (or any) museum, but the courtyard was fascinating in and of itself.

I then meandered, vaguely pointing myself in the direction of Dante's house. I turned a corner and ran into a young actor dressed in Renaissance actor style who was reciting portions of Dante's Divine Comedy--I and others in the small crowd that gathered were transfixed with his interpretation, even though most of us probably did not understand a word.

Then to the Uffizi Gallery, with an excellent art major as a guide.

Oh....my....God.....what an incredible experience to walk through room after room of exquisite art. The tour took two hours, but I went through the museum again and again until closing time.

I meandered back to the convent VERY slowly. Because I work at home, I never wear shoes during the day, and my feet are SCREAMING at me:-) -- and took pics of various sights along the way.

Wow...what an amazing day

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: