Thursday, March 20, 2008

Florence Day 5

See pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/meganthemegan <http://www.flickr.com/photos/meganthemegan>
This painting, which I stood in front of yesterday, showed up in a dream I had last night. All I can remember about the dream was that I was very, very happy.

I decided to allow today to be a day to slow down and ponder (and give my feet a little rest!)

It rained and was evidently very cold last night. A woman I spoke with in a coffee shop this morning said she commuted over the hill in a few inches of snow. It was still quite cold, and I was very glad I had brought my leather gloves.

Coffee shops are called "bars" here, but I have yet to see anyone drink any of the booze that lines the shelves behind the counters. Most people stand at the bar, converse, and sip their small DELICIOUS cafe with some out-of-this world pastry, or, at lunch, some bottled water or a small glass of wine with delicious panini.

I bought my bus ticket for Siena after spending a long time searching for the bus station, but In the process found the English church where English AA meetings are held.

I visited Santa Maria Novella Church, and was disappointed that Brunelleschi's Crucifixion was closed for renovation, but Giotto's understated version was powerful in its simplicity. I then spent awhile praying in the chapel.

I enjoyed the meeting and then took my first bus to San Miniato Church which is perched on a hill that overlooks the city. I had hoped to hear Gregorian Chants, but was two hours too early -- perhaps tomorrow.

Mass this evening in a small church was a loving way to end a quiet day and to catch up with myself and ponder how very grateful I am.


Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: