Friday, March 21, 2008

Last day in Florence

Did I mention my room in Florence is across the street from the Brancacci Chapel?

Florence felt sad today -- the skies cried and the Church bells were ringing in (it seemed) a minor key on this Good Friday.

So I explored artists' and Medici tombs in San Croce and the Medici Chapels.

I had every intention of fasting today, but the sight of the chef in a local "bar" making pomodoro sauce with beautiful local tomatoes got the better of me.

I was then humbled at the Adorazione Della Croce mass this evening when an old woman who had been fasting since yesterday morning had to lie down across a pew -- the Sisters attended to her with water and rosaries, and helped her up for her adoration of the Cross.

I decided to attend mass at this local church rather than the huge and more popular churches -- I wanted to spend my last evening in Florence worshipping with the shopkeepers, barristas, and Sisters who have been so kind to me during my stay in their neighborhood.

This mass is particularly poignant for me. We touch, caress, kiss the symbol of torture and suffering because we are blessed by the great Love that is more powerful than cruelty.

While the church is opulent, the people are simple -- artists, students, working class that make up this Oltrarno district. There is no angelic great choir here -- just a few young people with a guitar -- but what gentle, sweet music!

The contrast between the wealth of art I've experienced over this past week and tonight's very simple expressions of faith...well, that's the Florence a loving God wanted me to see.

Mille grazie, Mon Signore.



Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: