Sunday, March 30, 2008

It's half past Pisces

My last day and evening in Italy...sigh...what an amazing journey this has been.

I started out walking to the dock where I will catch my Alilaguna water taxi to the airport tomorrow, and, after Mass at a small neighborhood church, decided to spend most of the morning on the water hopping on and off vaporettos along the Grand Canal.

I explored the Correr museum -- Canova's Orpheus and Eurydice, Daedalus and Icarus, all about the Doges, Bellini's paintings.

Then the lovely Frari Church (built by the Franciscans in 1492 - same year Columbus discovered America) and it was nice to be in a church full of beautiful art (Titian's Assumption of Mary is powerful) but with the warmth, rather than the wealth, of the Franciscans. They were setting up for a baptism in the chapel where Bellini's Madonna and Child is displayed (lucky baby!)., but a frari, seeing the Tau cross I've been wearing, allowed me in for a few moments so I could see it.

Then -- time for some decadence - the castle of the Rezonnico's. They bought their way into Venetian high society in the 1700's, and I mean bought -- sumptuous Baroque and Rococco furniture and tapestries, Murano chandeliers. I could almost hear Casanova saying "I began to lead a life of complete freedom, caring for nothing except what pleased me."

I shared his philosophy for dinner at a seafood restaurant, in honor of Venice maritime history. Polenta with a local tiny shrimp that tastes like lobster. Tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms and a local jumbo shrimp. Soft shell crabs that were almost as good as dungeness (but I'm prejudiced -- I think dungeness is the best crab in the universe). Fresh baby artichokes with olive oil, lemon, and thyme. Fresh strawberry cake for dessert. YUM!!

Then a meandering stroll back to my room. Then the final packing of my suitcase (which is a great deal heavier than when I left).

And now my last 11th step in foreign country (at least for awhile).

Thank you, God, for such a wonderful journey!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: