Sunday, March 23, 2008

Lumen Christi

At 11:30 last night, I attended the Easter Vigil at the Church of San Domenico here in Siena.

The part that I loved the most, after the priest lights the Paschal Candle from a fire pit outside the church, this flame is shared with all as we light each other's candles -- as we bring light to each other..

To stand under the night sky on a hill in Siena, with clouds sliding across a waning but bright moon, and watch the priest light the Paschal candle was powerful. We then followed the candle and wonderful incense into the darkened church; the choir began to sing "Deo gratia." Then the spreading of the light from the Paschal candle to all the celebrants.

To look into the smiling eyes of a woman as she lit my candle with hers and said "Lumen Christi", and to then turn and do the same for men, women, and children standing around me -- "Lumen Christi" -- I felt the Light returning to some sad, dark corners in my heart.

Lumen Christi.

Deo gratia.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: