Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Assisi Day 2 - St. Francis still leading me

See my photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meganthemegan

A gorgeous warm (52F!!! - that's the warmest it's been in quite awhile) morning with SUN, so after a good breakfast, I was off to a hike on Monte Subasio to see where Francis and his followers went for retreat.

The trail map I had said "...ascend steeply a stony track for almost an hour..." Which I did with little problem, though it was steep. Then I came to a crossroads, and realized the instructions began at this point -- a VERY steep, stony path rose in front of me. I began, OK for the first 10 minutes, then I got discouraged. I had brought a copy of Francis "9anticle of the Creatures", took it out and began reading out loud:

Most High, all-powerful, good Lord,
all praise is yours, all glory, all honor,and all blessing.
To you, alone, Most High, do they belong.
No mortal lips are worthy to pronounce your name.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through all you have made,
and first my lord Brother Sun, who brings the day;
and through whom you give us light.
How beautiful is he, how radiant in all his splendor;
Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness....

...And then Francis magic began...I was no longer out of breath, the muscles in my legs stopped rebelling, and Francis pointed out tiny wildflowers...

All Praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars;
in the heavens you have made them, bright, and precious, and fair.

All praise be yours, my Lord,
through Brothers wind and air, and fair and stormy,
all the weather's moods,
by which you cherish all that you have made.

...I came across patches of snow that had not yet melted...

All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Water,
so useful, humble, precious and pure.

...And the water from a fountain at a trail rest area was the BEST water I have ever tasted...

All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brother Fire, through whom you brighten up the night.
How beautiful is he, how cheerful!
Full of power and strength.

All praise be yours, my Lord, through our Sister Mother Earth,
who sustains us and governs us,
and produces various fruits with colored flowers and herbs.

...And spring was beginning to show itself in lupine and berries...

All praise be yours, my Lord, through those who grant pardon for love of you;
through those who endure sickness and trial.
Happy are those who endure in peace,
By You, Most High, they will be crowned.

All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Death,
From whose embrace no mortal can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin!
Happy those she finds doing your will! The second death can do them no harm.

...I pondered what he meant by "second death"...I certainly felt I was in heaven...

Praise and bless my Lord, and give him thanks
And serve him with great humility.

...On up the steep path, with incredible views, wildflowers, bird song...JOY!

I made it to the hermitage and understand why Francis loved the cave where he prayed, meditated, and slept. It didn't feel like a cold dark cave -- it felt like I was in the deepest embrace of Mother Earth.

Francis showed me a different route back into town (after a dog sat down and made friends with me -- he belonged to the owners of a cafe just outside the hermitage). He led me off the main road onto a path through olive groves, and then a HUGE white butterfly appeared -- HELLO, LOVEY!! I just knew it was her!

Back in town, he lead me up to the ancient Rocca Maggiore castle and to a solitary cherry tree in full blossom. And like the sculpture of him at the hermitage, I took off my shoes and lay on my back under it, listening to the happy bees and feeling the petals falling on my face.

Then he lead me back home, completely exhausted, but full of joy.

Other than the day my son was born, this has been the most beautiful day of my life.

Thank you, God -- how can I help?


Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: