Monday, March 24, 2008

Last day in Siena

See photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/meganthemegan

I woke up with the doves cooing outside my window (well, they are actually pigeons, not doves, but I'm in a blissfully altered state thanks to all that I've seen -- and pigeons are just doves that haven't been loved enough -- ah, jeez loueeze, stop me already!)

The sun was shining bright as could be and I went out for an early morning stroll off the beaten path.

I found a mysteriously enticing narrow alley way, and discovered a little paradise (and an ancient terra cotta drain pipe).

I would turn a corner and find a piazza with a fabulous view.

I took pictures of the signs that indicate different neighborhoods, each represented by special symbol -- so I've walked through the Snail, Swan, Elephant, Dragon, and Owl districts.

I met an old man who was grooming his dog and gave me a cheerful "Buon giorno"

I then found an area that was a Psychiatric Hospital in the late 19th century -- it actually grew into a small town with shops run by the patients because they believed in occupational therapy for mental illness. I wandered around the hospital gardens. The sky was turning dark, the sun disappeared behind heavy clouds, and suddenly I was hit in the head by several small rocks. Turned out to be hail the size of cannelli beans, and I had to giggle --leave it to me to get knocked out by Siena hail in a 19th century psychiatric district! And it brought to mind one of my all time favorite movies, "Roi des Couers (King of Hearts)"

Another storm hit, so I spent the rest of the morning in the Civic Museum with its frescoes of good and bad government. The ruler of the bad government does have an uncanny resemblance to George Bush.

I returned to the Duomo to get a closer look at the art without the Easter mass crowd, and particularly liked the chapel devoted to Mary, who is Siena's protector. And then to several other museums where I saw early "editions" of artists' works whose final versions are now in the Uffizi.

I must admit I have lost track of which piece of art I saw where, and am very glad I bought each museum's guide books which I can review when I get home.

Finally, a stop to St. Caterina (Siena's patron saint) sanctuary, and then home for the final night at the lovely Alma Domus, which just happens to be a part of her sanctuary.

Tomorrow, Assisi and some days to wander the streets and hills where St. Francis and his soul mate St. Clare lived lives completely dedicated to Love.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: